Each year I struggle with my Christmas gift list because like most moms – my priorities have shifted. I find more joy in seeing my kid’s faces light up on Christmas morning verses my own, plus I never know what to ask for. My requests of Santa use to consist of jewels, handbags, the latest and greatest tech devices or awesome cookware, but now it’s more along the lines of just asking the husband to take the kids out so I can get in some ‘me’ time. Don’t get me wrong I still love a good surprise and virtually anything shiny, but with small kids I try to remain practical. Wearing anything shiny near a baby just results in them attacking it and breaking it. Same goes for clothes; why buy new ones when your kids vomit on you and wipe their snotty noses on you endlessly? But because my husband keeps asking me for my wish list, I thought I would enlist the help of friends to compile a list of the best and worst gifts to give your wife. Our partners can’t read our minds so let’s help them out:
Best gifts to give:
- Anything Sentimental – Mom’s eat this sh*t up. Giving a calendar or a photo book with pictures of our babies melts our hearts. OR schedule a family photo session.
- Activities / Experience Gifts – Aquarium or museum memberships or lessons. Why? These things provide activities she can do either by herself or with the kids. Nothing is worse than being stuck inside with nothing to do, especially during winter. For just her, you can do cooking lessons, piano lessons, language lessons, anything fun she would like to learn more about and do for herself.
- Pampering Gifts – I don’t know any woman who doesn’t like a good massage, manicure or pedicure. If you get a spa day include one of her friends too. Experiences are much better when you can share them with a friend or loved one. My favorite Spa in Chicago: Urban Oasis.
- Girls’ Nights or Trip – Put a few dates on the calendar so she can plan a girls night or a weekend trip and hold her to it.
- Services – Hire a cleaning service to come clean the house. Bonus if it can be recurring. Hire a Chef to come and make meals for a week to freeze them so she won’t have to cook.
- Donations – make a donation in her name to a great cause that is close to her heart.
- Special Gift – Something she normally wouldn’t spend money on for herself, like good skincare products, makeup, a nice pair of jeans, a watch, classic jewelry pieces that will last.
- Practical Gift – Something that will make her life easier. (i.e. new washer/dryer, a good vacuum – hint hint Santa)
- Books – Of course, if she likes to read as much as I do. Some of my favorite reads this year were: We’ll Always Have Paris and Karma Gone Bad.
Worst gifts to give:
- Gifts You’re Secretly Getting For Yourself – Don’t give tickets to a sporting event when your lady doesn’t know the difference between football and tennis. Same goes for concerts, if she’s a top 20 girl she probably doesn’t care to see Rage Against The Machine.
- Chach Keys – If it doesn’t have sentimental value don’t waste your time. The last thing we need are little knick knacks taking up space we don’t have to give.
- Cleaning Supplies – Unless we specifically ask for things like this, don’t buy them. I don’t need a reminder that my house is a mess all the time.
- Gift Cards – Nothing says, I didn’t put any thought into this more than a gift card.
- Gym Memberships / Fitness Items – Unless she’s into this and asks for it, don’t get it. It can come across as an insult. Thanks for pointing out my muffin top.
- A “Family” Pet – Let’s be honest here, the family pet usually becomes the responsibility of mom. We have enough responsibilities so leave the “surprise” family pets off the list.
Any other suggestions? Let us know!